Saturday, October 4, 2014

Past, Present & Future

I feel like before I start randomly posting about Bryce's "condition"  (that sounds weird).  Let's just call it the cancer.
The Cancer.
with THE in the front unnecessarily.  Like a retiree from Yonkers.
"He's gaht thah cancah"

I'm gonna try to cover 3 years in 3 minutes.  Let's see if I can pull this off.

Dec. 2011 (just before Christmas) ~  He went to the general doctor because of a growth on his tongue.  Dr says "WHOA!  Go to this ENT guy STAT!  Book the appointment saying you need a biopsy of that thing!"
Please note......  until he took my kids with him to this appointment while I was at work & the doctor was freaked out, I had never heard of a growth on his tongue.
Additionally, he doesn't smoke or dip.  So why is it there?!

 2 Days after Christmas 2011 ~ ENT does biopsy & says call me Thursday

Thursday Evening while driving to the lake house to see all of the family for New Years ~
Me:  Did you call the Dr?
Him:  No.
Me:......................
Friday he got the call & they told him that they needed him at the office to "break the news."  I said  OH NO YOU DON'T!!!  Dr. called back & said "You have cancer"

So.... Squamous Cell Carcinoma is what he had.  Has.  It's a skin cancer that is also a head & neck cancer that is linked to HPV in young men.  I'll get into that later.

Jan 2012 ~ Surgery to remove the tumor on his tongue & removed 100 lymph nodes in his neck.  That's right folks...... he was cut ear to ear & they pulled them out.  They tested everything.  all lymph nodes are clear.  So they're like.... Yeah man!  You're good!  No need for chemo & radiation!

May 2013 (returning from him being the best man in his BFF's wedding in Cayman Islands) ~
Him:  Babe, book me an appointment with ENT guy again.  Something is in my left neck.

June 2013 ~ Surgery to figure that out means removal of sub-mandibular gland, his left jugular & once that was gone they found a sack of 10 nodes where the cancer was.

Summer of 2013 ~ Mon-Fri radiation & Tuesday Chemo for 6.5 weeks

April 2014 ~ Gigantic noticeable growth coming out of nowhere lower center neck.
May 2014 ~ Surgery to remove his thyroid because the cancer was all over that!  & the other tumor that had showed up behind his right clavicle.  Other really difficult things require plastics to come in & pull his right pectoral muscle into his neck for "some meat" during radiation that he'll require & a skin graft.

Summer 2014 ~ More chemo & radiation for 6 weeks

Sept 2014 ~ We go in for the 6 weeks post treatment scans.  Badda Bing.  Badda Boom.  He has more of the cancer.  And that's where we stand.  Again.... you can ALWAYS go get more from him at  bastobb.blogspot.com

I more or less wanted to give others the grand scope of things before I really started to move into what's happening tomorrow & the next day.  Tomorrow .... no wait...... actually today is my oldest birthday.  He's ten.  10!!!!!!!!!!  So here's a picture of my beautiful baby :)


No comments:

Post a Comment