Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The things we do for love

We've had a rough couple of weeks.  As if life isn't enough, cancer happens too.  I've always thought marriage was such a weird thing.  God wants us to get married & have babies & live happily ever after.  Or wait...... maybe that was Disney.  But God likes it when we get married too.  It's just SOOOOO hard sometimes.  Don't get me wrong.  I love my husband.  But there are times when I just can't understand why I can't just walk out when he does something stupid.  I know that he's wished he could bail on me too.  Throw cancer into the mix and things can flip your entire world upside down.

It's that fight or flight response.  We all have it.  And I can't pretend to imagine what happens in his head right now.  I'm not battling cancer.  But what I do know is that we both made the decision to stick around and fight.  That's what married people do.  We love each other & love each other through the tough stuff.  When his flight response kicked in because he didn't want to think about his reality, I made the decision to fight for him.  For us.  For our family.  And he's done the same for me.  I check out & he pulls me back in.

Well, I personally invited him to stay in our reality while we celebrated holidays.  This Thanksgiving we entertained the Stobb's at our house.  It was wonderful.  The San Francisco branch made it in time to enjoy the beautiful bird that  Bryce deboned, stuffed & rolled.  There were so many delicious things to eat.  It was a WONDERFUL day.  We also got to celebrate AJ's 8th birthday.  I can't believe my baby is EIGHT!!!!

Then we find ourselves staring at each other this morning.  I was actually the one that couldn't get my emotions in check.  I didn't like how many sticks it took to get the IV in.  I wish I could just stay at his side through the whole surgery.  I wish that I could hold his hand all day.  I wish that I could take away his cancer.  I wish a lot of things.  But I know that I told him how much I love him.  I know that he's in good hands in that OR.  He's been prayed for like crazy lately.  And his surgeon has been prayed for too.

I know I'm in for a long day.  I'll try to get some sleep here and there.  I just wanted to post and say hi to people.  I hope all of your holidays were as great as ours.  And here's my PSA for the day:

Love each other.  Love with everything you have.  Fight for the ones you love and what you believe in.  Because sometimes..... they might just need to hear it.

For Bryce updates:  bastobb.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. Love you soo much Jess. I can't even begin to imagine what you guys are dealing with together and independently. I'll spare you all the "you don't get more than you can handle" talk and just say that if love could heal all then you would never have a single cold ever again and Bryce would be cured of everything. Love is powerful and strong and you guys are both loved tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you guys and love you guys more than you know ������

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said Jess.. and you're exactly right! " Sometimes..... They might just need to hear it!" There are no truer words! Prayers, hugs and lots of Love sent to yall!

    ReplyDelete