Thursday, January 14, 2016

B's Hospital Stay~Day 4

NOW WE'RE GETTING SOMEWHERE!!!
I think one of my biggest fears in all of this is that we were going to be sent home without any answers.  Bryce's biggest fear hit him hard again last night.  That's when it always hits him.  He's afraid to go to sleep, because he thinks he isn't going to wake up.  He told me again last night "I think that this is just it."  Well, I just KNOW that it isn't!!!!  So, back to me and my fears :D

I want to know what this is and why it's happening.  I thought it was a seizures.  They hooked him up to an EEG for 30 minutes, but nothing happened during that time.  Yesterday, they hooked him up for 24 hours.  As much of a pain as that is, we needed this episode to happen while he was being monitored on the EEG.  And as much as he hates these episodes, we're fortunate that he had another one this morning while he was hooked up.

ANSWERS:
GOOD NEWS!!!!!  He doesn't appear to be having any seizures.  This appears to be what is called a vasovagal (vay-zoh-VAY-gul) response, or VVR.  There is a nerve (I think it's called the vasovagel nerve, too) that runs along where your carotid artery is and acts as your fight or flight nerve.  If you see blood and pass out, it's because of this nerve.  This nerve can drop your blood pressure FAST!  And THAT'S why he passes out.  His blood pressure drops.

Really technical drawing of Carotid thingies.
Another side effect of the VVR is sweat.  You know how when people fight for their lives or are very scared in a situation and they become stressed, they actually stink differently.  Stress sweat smells different.... worse, to be honest.  My husband doesn't ever stink to me.  Even if he feels like he's gross, he doesn't stink.  That or I just like his stink. :)

Another thing is the body will "bear down" during the VVR.  Some equate it to trying to poop.  Some people when frightened WILL poop.  Others puke.  That's why Bryce feels nauseous.  THAT is what I actually saw that made me think he was having a seizure.  The "convulsions" were actually his body's reaction to the VVR.

CAUSES:
His tumor is literally califlowering out of his neck.  It's grown.  a.LOT! very quickly.  There is tissue between the tumor and his carotid.  However, the CT of his neck shows that there is 33% compression of his carotid.  No one is actually very worried about that, as odd as that sounds.  There are other pathways to help with all of this.  If it gets pinched off completely, but slowly over time, it may not be an issue at all.  Weird.

Additionally, he has sever muscle cramps through his neck/shoulders/chin.  This has been happening since the first round of radiation back in 2013.  Then he was hit again with it in 2014.  Two summers in a row of being cooked from the inside out has its side effects.  Cramps are one of them.  His are pretty horrible.  With that all said, what we THINK is happening is that carotid and nerve are getting pretty tight in there because of this @$$hole tumor.  Then he gets a cramp and may not even realize he's cramping in a weird way.  BOOM!  Cramp sets off a VVR and it's man down.

SOLUTIONS:
Thank you San Fran Crew!!!
We're supposed to see an Electro Physiologist.  This is a cardiologist (heart guy) that is very specialized in his field.  We'll be here another night while the EP and the Neuro discuss and figure out the best way to treat him.  Lord knows, we can't have Bryce falling out all of the time.  NO THANKS!!!

I think that's going to be about it for today.  Sometime around 3:00, they'll take the electrodes off of Bryce's head when the 24 hours is up for the EEG.  He wants a shower.  Then we're going to see our boys today!!!!!!  MiMi is going to pull them out early so we can spend some time with them in Bryce's room.  Bryce's sister will come up again tonight and sit with him, while I go have dinner with my little guys.

The outpouring of love and support is astounding.  My response time today is bad.  I'm just starting to wear down.  There's been a lot of activity, and we're finally getting somewhere, but I'm tired and starting to crack.  I need to see my boys today.  I need to drink more water.  I need to leave the room more.  I know all of these things, but that doesn't make me do anything about it.  At least I will get 1 out of 3 today.  So know that I love you.  I hope I'll get to respond eventually.


1 comment:

  1. We love you both and know that much is going on and you will tell us what you can when you can. Rest as much as you can!!

    ReplyDelete